Friday, September 14, 2007

Video!

Ok, it's not of BASIC, but it is still relevant. I found this by simply googling "Homeless News" without the quotes, and finding a Blog that is about Homeless news.

Here's the video:



It's pretty good, but like anything, I don't agree with everything the video assumes. It's easy to assume that money is the primary way to fix homelessness, but I think the primary emphasis needs to be on prevention, and the problems that lead to homelessness are more complicated than mere money. Not to say there could be more money spent on the issue, just that there are bigger fish to fry, like world view transformation, justice under the law, personal sin. It's more important to get someone out of their comfort zone, both homeless and not, and get them to a place where they are actively seeking and doing God's will than it is to simply increase spending. If you are not homeless, and you are doing God's will*, I think you will find that something changes you to the point where homelessness stops being the problem, and homeless people are blessed by you, and they can turn and bless God because of you.

I think I want to write more about that, but for now, just sit and think about it. Sunday I'll be going downtown, Saturday I'll post my lesson for the trip, which is based on the lesson I'll be giving this Sunday in Sunday school at Highlands Church of Christ in Lakeland, FL.
Until Next Time!
GB HOYT

*I include this post to Arron Chamber's entry on a new program because I really like the WATER concept he is using for his young adults ministry. It's something that the whole church needs to read, understand, and realize that this is what they've been thinking all along. The part about worship really says something special to me. Read it, and the rest of his bloggings too.

No comments: