Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Just What is the Problem Here?

What is appropriate fellowship?
This article perplexes me. I've fellowshipped with a cappella churches before, and am accountable (ie, placed membership at) to one now. When they've been the only conservative church available, I've gone too them, helped them conduct services with the elderly, and even taught a few Bible Lessons at them. Do I like a cappella music better than instrumental? No! I don't care about the form, but about where there is spirit and truth. I don't sing some hymns a cappella or instrumental, they are just plain wrong.

So what is the problem?

I think in this particular instance, it is because the youth minister at the "independant Christian Church" (what are we independant of I wonder??) is afraid of smaller numbers, and that is directly tied to his performance in the eyes of the leadership. Besides: We can't be havin' our youngfolk lost to the "legalists"! Why they are not unifying!

The problem rests in our inability to understand that our unity is in Christ not our teaching. It's a subtle difference that Sam Dawson seems to get. It seems IMHO that the problems of unity and division occur when we try to think about something we'd be better at acting upon. We are commanded to worship God in spirit and in truth. I'd say, let the kids begin there.
Try to worship God in spirit and in truth today!

No comments: