Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sunday is like Funday, but with and S instead of an F

Hello Folks,


I am going to be your poster for today.
First allow me to introduce myself. I'm Rafael... yeah.
I don't have much to say about myself cause I'm not that interesting, really. Just that I was born in Ecuador and moved to the US when I turned 15, I am now 19 (not a fun age to be, no kidding).
I started to get involved with BASIC back in February I think...or March, I'm not really sure, all I know is that I felt that I wasn't doing anything for Christ so I looked for something to do and I found BASIC and decided to help, after that God made everything else happen.
I gotta tell you about the first time I helped in BASIC, I just came back from my country where there is lots of poverty, crime and corruption, so I had this picture in my head, of all the poor kids I saw begging for money, and all the people that I saw suffering. When I arrived at downtown Orlando and look at the group of homeless people my first impression was: "Is this a Joke? You are calling this people homeless and needy? Look at them!, wearing shoes, clean clothes!!! Why are we helping them"
I just came back from a place full of extreme poverty, and when I saw this I was a tad troubled. The problem is, that I had missed the point. Later in the day after listening to them I realized what it really means to be homeless, and why we are having such a big "homelessness" problem in the US, and the same reason applies to my country. You can dress them, feed them, give them shelter, but all of those efforts won't mean anything unless you give them food for their souls and that is the truth and the gift of Jesus Christ. Yes, homeless people here are dressed better than people down there. However, the only reason why we have that difference is the overall economy and the quality of life. The problem remains the same (just better dressed for the happy tourists).

I realized that not only are they homeless physically, they are also homeless spiritually. They have no where to go and sometimes they feel that they have no meaning.
After I realized that, two truths came to my mind. Material help will never solve the problem, and that the same effort we put on charities, donations, and the things we give, that same effort(and even more, lots lots more) should be used to teach people about Christ. When they come to realize that they have a savior, a father, a friend, a lord that will hold them, they will certainly feel that they have a home, and they will feel safe. God will provide them with the oportunity of getting off the streets, living a better life all thanks to him, and most certainly they will live their life FOR him.

I learned that "we" the believers have no excuse for not serving others, because everywhere in the world the same problem remains, spiritually homeless people, and we are commanded to reach them and show them the way to that great mansion that is the kingdom of God.
Right now I'm not able to help the people from my country, but I know that God requires from me to help the people I am able to help, regardless of their condition.
The field is HUGE but the workers are few.


So, last Sunday, Brandon was extremely evil and had me lead BASIC all alone :-), and as it always happens with me, things become chaotic. I had a lil trouble getting people to help out that day, but Brandon redeem himself and found some people that could help out. I think we served around 87 people this Sunday and we did it with the help from Living Waters Church of Ocoee, they are pretty cool guys and even though our plan for joining forces that day was very rushed, we performed our duties very well. People was fed and the word was preached, the skies wanted to let some rain out and a few guys were getting grumpy but the water stopped. After we were done I wrapped things up and i had big surprise....
!!!!THE FISHMOBILE WOULD NOT TURN ON!!!!!!
After checking stuff we determined it was the battery (Mitch Mitchell was a great help).
We got the battery jumped and we were on our way back. It was a mighty LONG Sunday. So since I made it alive here I present to you:

THE PRAYER REQUESTS:

Marilyn Lucas: For Kids

Jose Larios: Health

Julia Geiger: Social Security.

Leon Stephene: Yes, Job

James Massey: Some one to help me buy run down build to fix up and resell.

Chicago: Good day, work and my kids and my girl.

Larry D. Binns: Get job either with Orlando or Maitland.

John: Staying with God

Dan McMillan: Yes.

Steven Arp: My sons

George Graham Jr.: Strength and Courage

James: Yes

John Huovinen: I am in need of work to buy a Bas TxT to mols.

Ms. Jucques Davis: Yes, that the homeless, All, be blessed. To come off the streets of the United States of America.

Ron Hollis: Baby Hollis

Thomas Tugman: For a Home

Kathleen Parks: Not at this time except prayer for all.

Greg James: Tomorrow you are not where I am today.

Scott Christensen: Help me to do it myself.

Claudia: So one to keep their promise.

Michael: Same as Claudia

Johnny Thompson: I would love for Jesus to take alcohol and drugs out of my system and life forever.

Dayton Tompkins: Yes

Samantha Howell: Get off the streets.

Roosevelt Greene: That God will protect and continue to provide for me upon this path

Sheryl Dickson: To have a place next month.


Thanks for reading and thanks for all your support. Have a great week folks.




JUST TO ADD TO WHAT RAFI SAID!!!!


Our "special guy" this week is George Graham. Click the BASIC banner at the top of the screen to find out more about his struggle on the streets.

ALSO:
Recent News not withstanding... BASIC will continue feeding downtown. I wasn't worried about the original legislation, seemed like it continued to allow feeding where BASIC meets now. This law, however, seems to be worded differently. Namely the "2 Mile" part I don't understand.... What's that about?
Does it apply to us?
Cant say now. We'll still go downtown Sunday, we'll still feed people. We'll beg forgiveness before we ask permission to do the right thing. We'll smile and differ, and continue preaching the Gospel.
So pray for us!
Love in Christ,
GB HOYT- Positive Activist

1 comment:

GB Hoyt said...

thanks for the great Post Rafi! One day we'll take B.U.M.S. (Basic Urban Ministry System) to the streets in Equador!
And I'm not evil! I don't even charge you to come downtown with me :)